Saturday 5 March 2011

Why write a blog?

I've considered writing a blog before, but thought it to be a bit arrogant! Why would anyone want to read my thoughts? Isn't it a bit self-centred and conceited to assume that anyone else would be interested?

Lately though, I've felt I've had more and more to say. Not because I'm an expert or I know it all, but the very opposite - because I've realised I've lots to learn and lots of things are opening up to me. Then I came across the idea of an abundance mentality in Stephen Covey's excellent book - 'The Seven Habits of Highly Effective People'. The abundance mentality says that there is plenty for everyone - if someone shines, in my workplace, my social circle, my family, it takes absolutely nothing away from me. And if I shine, it does not make any person around me less.We can all shine - there is plenty to go around and more besides.

In contrast, the scarcity mentality says there is not enough for us all. It says that if I am more, someone else has to be less - we are competing with one another.

It has struck me how we can have a scarcity mentality without being conscious of it. In fact aren't we brought up in a school system with an underlying assumption of scarcity? Someone has to be at the top of the class and someone has to be at the bottom, we can't all be at the top!

So, how do we shine? By letting out what is inside of us perhaps, our gifts. These might be our abilities and skills, they might be the things we can do with our brain or hands, they might be generous, kind or loving aspects of our personality, they might be a giving heart or a warm personality. If our gifts have been given to us, surely they haven't been given to us so that we can hide them away. Aren't we called to use them?

I read the following quote:

“Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us… Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you… And as we let our own light shine , we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others.” (Marianne Williamson - 'A Return to Love')

So if shining is the natural and right use of the gifts we have been given, if when we shine it takes absolutely nothing away from anyone else, and in fact gives them permission to shine also, why shouldn't we shine?

Shining for me does not mean 'look at me - I've got this sorted!', it simply means 'I've received something that is good - I want to share it with you'.

I hope you, anyone who reads this blog, enjoys it and recognises that they too have permission to shine!

No comments:

Post a Comment